Adrenal fatigue, or the more extreme case of adrenal exhaustion, is often at the root of insomnia, allergies & hormonal imbalances along with numerous other health complaints. Why is this so? The adrenal glands produce over 50 different hormones which are involved in significant life sustaining functions, such as heart rate, blood pressure, thyroid regulation, blood sugar regulation, energy production, heart & lung health, kidney functions, allergy response, inflammation reduction, etc.
Poorly functioning adrenal glands can result in any of the following complaints:
high & low cortisol levels (an adrenal hormone),
reduced melatonin production (from the pineal gland), often caused by high cortisol levels from caffeinated food or beverage or stress/worry
light, unfulfilling sleep, or a nocturnal sleep pattern, or difficulty getting back to sleep in the middle of the night (exhausted adrenals remain in fight or flight mode (high cortisol) interfering with pineal melatonin production)
high & low blood sugar levels (regulated by the adrenals & the pancreas)
sleepiness after a meal (related to blood sugar levels regulated by the adrenals/pancreas)
irregular heartbeat (heart rate is regulated in part by electrolytes and adrenal hormones)
high & low thyroid function (regulated in part by the adrenals),
mood swings, depression or bipolar tendencies (often related to low & high adrenal output, and/or an overworked spleen, both of which are aggravated by sweets, stimulants and alcohol)
unpleasant period & menopausal symptoms (the adrenals manufacture some reproductive hormones and serve as the backup hormone producer during menopause),
under & over weight conditions (adrenal/thyroid related),
diminished immune response powers (high & low sugar levels interfere with the normal immune response in the body),
inflammation (the adrenal cortex manufactures the body’s required supply of natural cortisone),
a diminished ability to produce antihistamines (the allergy fighters) manufactured by the adrenals
lung congestion & low oxygen exchange (regulated in part by the spleen & adrenals)
along with the disruption of numerous hormone functions in the body, among other symptoms
Restore power to the adrenal glands and numerous health issues may improve or disappear entirely.
1) Life stress (the adrenals are one of the body's main worry/fear/life stress responders)
2) Sugar and other concentrated sweeteners (both natural and artificial). This includes concentrated stevia drops or white stevia powder concentrate, agave, maple syrup, and even an excess of honey in some instances (stresses the spleen, overworks the pancreas & adrenals and increases bacterial/fungal overgrowth)
3) Regular use of caffeinated beverages (especially coffee and green/black tea). Caffeinated beverages also overstimulate the nervous system leading to nervous system exhaustion and spleen/adrenal depletion
4) Use of sugar, alcohol, stimulants and recreational drugs exhaust the adrenals and deplete the kidney jing essence (the subtle energy that serves as your foundational life power). Depletion of kidney jing results in lowered vitality, lower immune response powers, greater susceptibility to disease, loss of fortitude & drive – in general, a lower quality of life.
5) Fungal overgrowth, one of the most prevalent causes of adrenal stress, is activated initially by:
a. the first dose of antibiotics ever taken (even as an infant)
b. immunization shots laden with mercury (Thimerosol) or aluminum and other toxic substances
c. silver/mercury amalgam tooth fillings
d. drinking and cooking with chlorinated/fluoridated water
e. playing with mercury as a child
f. mercury elixers (mercury was once used as a medical treatment until the connection was made between neuron degeneration, numerous health problems and mercury)
g. exposure to farm and garden/household chemicals (pesticides, herbicides, chemical cleaners)
h. exposure to radiation from nearby nuclear power plants, munitions factories or nuclear testing facilities (airborne or water supply)
h. use of birth control pills and other hormone replacement therapies
6) Fungal overgrowth is subsequently worsened by such things as:
b. the consumption of fried foods (like chips, french fries, fried chicken, etc.)
c. regular use of birth control pills or hormone replacement therapy (even bioidentical and glandulars)
d. high consumption of nuts, seeds and nut/seed butters (nuts and their butters feed the shingles/herpes virus)
e. daily use of eggs and/or meat (resulting in sluggish digestion/over acid condition/putrefaction in the gut)
f. the use of most vinegars (except umeboshi vinegar & coconut water vinegar & aged balsamic 10+ years)
g. consuming any soy product (over-estrogenates the body similar to birth control pills)
h. exposure to Roundup herbicide (a genetically modified soy derivative and hormone disruptor now in almost every conventionally grown food source today)
i. regular use of kombucha (made of theobromine, tannins, sugar, and alcohol, all of which reduce probiotic count in the gut, stress the spleen, and promote fungal overgrowth)
j. a general acid condition in the body (shoot for 7.35 pH saliva and urine midday)
k. undigested food in the digestive tract often due to low bile production, low stomach acids, and/or low digestive enzyme production (produced by the pancreas, liver, stomach & intestines)
l. exposure to plastic fumes/off gassing (creates an estrogen replacement effect)
n. most breads due to roundup use on grains and genetic modification of the gluten, although Einkorn & Emmer breads are the original grains worth exploring that may provide a safer alternative
o. the use of liquid oils, butter and animal fat (consider olives, avocados, and foods/seeds that contain oils (oils are found in most fruits & vegetables) rather than the oil extracted from them. Coconut oil in moderate amounts may be an exception to this rule
p. consuming fruits or sweets within 2 days (depending on digestive powers and bile production) of consuming a meat, an oil, or a fat can result in high sugar levels (insulin resistance) leading to fungal overgrowth. This is due to the time it takes oils and fats to leave the bloodstream and their impedance effect on sugar metabolism
q. numerous other causes
7) General environmental toxicity and many other factors play into the stresses placed on our adrenal glands due to the fact that the adrenals are one of the body's first responders to toxins or allergens (thus the importance of a daily detoxification/adrenal repair program).
Adrenal repair (and hormonal restoration in general) is accomplished in 7 basic ways:
1) An improvement in diet (OK, So What Foods CAN I Eat?) with an emphasis on ensuring oils & fats are fully digested regularly and pancreatic enzyme production is at peak performance:
2) High earthen mineral ingestion daily, the most highly recommended being:
3) Daily consumption of a comprehensive green superfood (also helps to maintain an ideal 7.35 pH):
4) Implement a daytime endocrine (hormonal) rebuilding program:
(The first two formulas below are taken 5-6 hours before sleep due to their 5 hour peak energy effects)
5) Implement a daily detoxification regimen.
Toxins are being taken in daily (and for most, have been for decades now), thus the importance of a program that removes toxins from the body gradually, yet daily. Such a program will include:
6) A 3-10 day pathogen reduction program to build immune system powers and restore vital energy:
7) Address internal stress factors (fears, limitations, resentments, etc.) utilizing The Gentle Art of Self-Healing:
Quality sleep is directly dependent on well functioning adrenal glands.
In addition to the above daytime rebuilding program, an added complement for deep restful sleep (which improves as the adrenals begin to function above a state of extreme exhaustion) includes:
Taken just before sleep, the minerals help to turn off the cortisol (from the adrenal glands) and turn on the melatonin (from the pineal gland). May also be taken again in the middle of the night if getting back to sleep became difficult. For a comprehensive Sleep Well Program Guide go to the Trouble Sleeping? article and download the Sleep Well Program Guide PDF linked at the top & bottom of the article.
Day Calm & Deep Sleep taken before bed is also an excellent support system for easily getting back to sleep in the event you need to get up in the night. If sleep is still difficult, Deep Sleep can also be taken a second time in the middle of the night.
Additional Sleep Well Support Formulas
Not all of the below are required for a decent night's rest but these are included in my favorite nighttime ritual. I like to improve the quality of my air intake, opening sinus and respiratory passages with:
Over time (coupled with a lower dairy & fat diet), these help to reduce the incidence of snoring by shrinking swollen mucus membranes and opening the air passageways and (in a roundabout way) improve the quality of your sleep.
As the electrolyte balance is restored and the kidneys build in strength, they also return to normal urinary functioning. Getting up in the middle of the night becomes a less and less frequent event. Normal urinary function at night is dependent upon all of the following:
1) High earthen mineral intake for a constant supply of electrolytes (Mineral Manna, Ancient Mineral Blend, Sacred Clay, Deep Earthen Cleanse)
2) Surprisingly, adequate hydration during the day is essential (2-3 quarts of purified water with earthen minerals and/or lemon)
3) A buildup of kidney & adrenal powers (utilizing adaptogenic formula like Kidney & Adrenal Builder, Rejuvenation for Women/Men, Adaptogen & Mushroom Blend, Energy & Brain Power)
4) Avoiding diuretic drink in the late afternoon and evening (coffee, green tea, black tea, yerba mate', etc.)
All 4 points work together to reduce getting up at night, getting back to sleep easily when awoken, and sleeping a full, restful night's sleep.
When applied sufficiently it will eventually be possible at times to drink a full quart of clay water before bed and not have to get up once in the night. This takes some time of rebuilding to accomplish, but it is a common event for those who succeed.
Properly functioning adrenal glands will produce sufficient antihistamines to counter any and all allergens (the stimulus for allergy symptoms).
Improved allergen response (antihistamine production) by the adrenals is supported nutritionally by 1) a clean diet, 2) strong earthen mineral intake (as mentioned above) and 3) the following herbal resources:
Eliminating concentrated sweeteners, caffeinated beverages, common gluten breads (except Einkorn & Emmer for some) and other genetically modified or "Roundup Ready foods", will also go a long way toward reducing allergies.
The Roundup sprayed on most grains and vegetables grown in America today are one common cause of allergies to foods. Poor digestion, generally triggered by antibiotics and/or a sugar plus fat diet, is another.
The normal regeneration of the stomach & intestinal linings can be accelerated by consuming Sacred Clay.
The hormone producing endocrine system requires minerals, cholesterol and adaptogenic herbal support to manufacture adequate hormone supplies for the body.
Nourishing the endocrine (hormone producing) system with naturally-occurring mineral, cholesterol and herbal sources gives the body what it needs to restore normal production levels of endocrine hormones (regardless your age):
1) Naturally-Occurring Mineral Sources:
Mineral Manna(AM & PM use) (combines several mineral sources)
Deep Earthen Cleanse (AM & PM use) (combines mineral & Herbal C sources)
Ancient Mineral Blend (AM & PM use) Can be laxative due to it's magnesium content
Sacred Clay(AM & PM use) Used for internal detoxification and mineral support
Earthen Ormus (AM use only) Used for meditation or for calming anxious nerves
Ormalite(AM & PM use) Used for meditation or for calming anxious nerves
Vitallite (AM use only) Used for energy and workout/office stamina
2) Good Cholesterol Sources: Good cholesterol sources are derived mostly from saturated fats, yet are also manufactured by your liver, adrenals, intestines & reproductive organs. Cholesterol is regularly recycled by the intestines back to the liver, thus, a low fat diet is all that is necessary to maintain healthful cholesterol levels.
Animal fats are not essential to good cholesterol levels. Liquid oils (like olive oil, sesame oil, rice bran oil, etc) are not essential to good cholesterol levels either (and can lead to digestive problems when consumed in quantity).
While relatively small amounts of cholesterol are found in the following, they are adequate. By reducing or eliminating the other liquid oils (except for coconut oil), fungal overgrowth and lymphatic/mucus congestion can be reduced significantly. Good (and adequate) sources of cholesterol for hormone balance include:
3) Herbal Adaptogenic Blends (an adaptogen is an herb with balancing, normalizing influences on organs, glands and hormone levels, whether the former imbalance was too high or too low. An adaptogen tends to nourish the body in a way that allows the body to bring all extremes to the center of balance. Formulas designed with this adaptogenic influence built in include:
Kidney & Adrenal Builder
Adaptogen & Mushroom Blend
Rejuvenation for Women or Rejuvenation for Men
Energy & Brain Power
Summary: To restore positive adrenal function, improve sleep quality, eliminate allergies and improve normal hormone production levels, specific nutritional approaches have proven to provide the body with the resources it needs to heal itself and restore balance.
For the fastest and best results, to address sleepless nights, allergies & hormone dysregulation, such nutritional approaches include:
1) improvements in the diet
2) a daily regimen of earthen minerals, plant-based cholesterol and adaptogenic herbal builders
3) addressing environmental toxicities & internal life stresses.
Here is a recommended guide for a general Cleanse & Revitalize Program (intensive program amounts are outlined above):
Many blessings of health & success,
Enjoy the simple gifts from Nature!
Is your calcium supplement increasing your risk of heart attack, stroke and sudden death?